Friday, January 29, 2010

30th January 2010, Bangkok, Thailand

Hello again from Bangkok,

After a three week whirlwind tour of Myanmar we are back in the comfort and civilization of Bangkok. During this time we met loads of great Burmese people, learned a lot about Buddhist culture, got a taste for green tea (especially when free), learned to appreciate having electricity all the time and roads which you can go over 30 mph on, realized you can never have enough temples, saw food which would turn most people's stomach, found out it's actually quite difficult to take candy from a baby and most importantly of all learned how to keep as much money as possible from a government which doesn't represent the people. Most of all we had a great time and would recommend the country to anyone.
We arrived into Yangon (Rangoon) airport three weeks ago an the place already looked strange, the airport terminal looked more like a Buddhist temple (pagoda) then anything we'd seen before. It was also possibly the smallest airport I'd every been though (although we were to see much smaller), but it was clean and efficient despite the long queues to have our visas checked. After getting out of the airport and getting a taxi into town we both felt like something wasn't right but couldn't put our fingers on it, then we had it, the driver was on the wrong side of the road, or at least the steering wheel was on the wrong side of the car. However, as we looked round everyone else was doing the same thing. After asking the driver he told us that the government had changed from driving on the left to the right, but all the old car which are still running have right-hand drive (for driving on the left), even the new cars seemed to have right-hand drive, which as they get them from Thailand, Singapore and India is no surprise. People seem to have adjusted pretty well to driving on the wrong side of the road (/car) though and didn't complain about it. We found a hotel and set out to change some of our pristine Dollar into Kyats. We had been warned before we arrived that it's not possible to get hold of Kyat outside of Myanmar and that the only way to do it was to bring in Dollars and change them in the country, but not any old Dollars, they had to be clean, unfolded, unmarked, preferably in large denominations and most importantly without a serial number starting with CB, which they wouldn't under any circumstances accept (for which we heard an interesting explanation later on in our travels). Armed with a pristine 100 Dollar bill we tried to change it for Kyat at the hotel where we were staying, however they were not quite as pristine as the landlady would've liked and complained about the tiniest shadow of a mark on the back of the bill (I think she would've only been happy with something hot off the press), however, she agreed to change it a passed over about 100 x 1000 Kyat bills, probably the biggest wad of bills I'd every held in my life, at least until we changed 300 Dollars worth a couple of days later. Considering what they expect from us the state of their money was terrible, the 1000 Kyat notes where in good shape but any smaller denominations looked as if they'd been twice through the wash, pulled though a garden hedge and then savaged by a pack of hungry dogs. At first when we were given them as change we wouldn't accept them as we thought we'd never be able to use them again, until we found out everyone used them and it wasn't a problem to have a note made up more from sellotape than paper.
After the hotel we headed off for a look around town where we saw loads of nice old colonial building, unfortunately however, most of them had trees growing out of their windows. One prime example was the old parliament building, once a grand old example of colonial British architecture, taking up a whole city block, it was surrounded by a barbed wire fence and had been completely left to go to ruin, home only to a number of rats and the occasional squatter. There was plenty of other examples around the city, which although beautiful in their decay seemed like such a waste. We also got our first example of Myanmar street food, a bowl of stewing broth surrounded by "cook it yourself" skewers of, apart from tripe, cuts of meat which I didn't recognize. Seeing this we decided on just taking tea, which was very nice Chinese (Jasmin) tea served from a big thermos on every table. Not feeling very hungry we sat drinking our thermos of tea for a couple of hours watching the Yangon world going by. When we tried to pay for the tea they told us it was free and refused to even taking some money off us for being able to use their table for so long (a big difference to India where nothing is free), anyway we decided to go there the next day, have some food (although not the tripe kebabs) and leave a big tip. During this time we also got acquainted with the Myanmar beer which slipped down a treat.
The next day after breakfast with a very strange preacher from the USA staying at our hotel we set of to see the first of what would be many Buddhist pagodas "Shwedagon Paya", a mighty impressive teet shaped, gold plated structure pointing into the sky. We also found a huge park around a lake where we spent a couple of hours walking over a huge teak bridge/walkway, after this we sorted out our onward journey which involved a short flight to Bagan, as neither of us fancied the 20 hour bus ride on pretty awful roads. We were a bit worried we'd be in some old biplane surrounded by livestock but to our relief a very modern Air Mandalay twin prop turned up to take up away.
Bagan was a strange place, billed as the Angkor Wat of Myanmar and the land of 4000 pagodas it certainly lived up to it. We hired bikes to see some of the 4000+ pagodas which stood within in approximately 10 sq. miles. It was really nice cycling down the small dirt roads stumbling on pagodas in various states of disrepair. At the occasional pagoda it was possible to climb to the top through a normally very narrow stone stair case (some of which I had to go up sideways). At the top there were great views over a huge plane covered with trees, through the trees poked thousands (literally) of pagodas of all different shapes and sizes, some golden, some made of brick and some finished in white and covered with ancient murals. It was a truly amazing sight and one which not through lack of trying I could never catch with the camera (although I'll put some up on the blog anyway). We also found a village where they made traditional Burmese laquerware, at first it looked a bit cheap, like something molded from inexpensive plastic. Anyway the guy took us round the workshop/showroom/gallery and explained how it took 6 months to make one piece due to all the different stages/layers involved and showed us how resilient they were by holding a lighter under one piece. However by thiss time Ulrike had already fallen for a couple of things though so now we've got to work out how to send them back.
On the second day we continued our bike tour wondering just why they'd built not one or two big pagodas but over 4000. After seeing a few more they were all starting to look the same and we decided to stop for lunch. Ulrike managed to find a peanut/sesame farm, she was just stopping to look at some of the medieval looking equipment they were using when they invited us to join them for lunch. So we spend the afternoon eating tea salad and stewed watercress while around us they were still weaving on a old loom and making sesame oil using a large stone bowl powered by a cow. Ulrike also befriended on of the local girls who showed her around her house and showed her how to apply Thanakha, to wood-paste stuff all the Myanmar women wear (see pictures).
After Bagan we flew again to Mandalay (I know not good, but it was cheap and better than a day on the bus). Despite the name Mandalay is not a great looking city although we did find some very good buffet restaurants. We spent the first day in another pagoda on Mandaly Hill watching the 95% solar eclipse. I'm ashamed to say that inside this very holy place I turned the air blue for several minutes, but I can explain. People were prizing pieces of glass from the walls and holding them over candles to get them covered in soot, with these they could look directly at the sun without hurting their eyes, very ingenious. The problem was though once they got bored they would just throw the glass away (onto the floor), this apart from littering would have been all well and good had people not been forced to remove their shoes before entering such a holy place. Anyway, so I managed to step on a shard of glass, which wasn't that bad and didn't really bleed, but I was still mightily p*ssed off, luckily I avoided getting a flesh eating virus (at least so far).
The next day after taking our trishaw driver's advise we went through the ancient cities of Burma to the south of Mandaly using him and his friend as guides. Apart from all the great things we saw, including the world's longest teak bridge, it was really interesting talking to our guide (who could speak very good English) and learning all about Myanmar culture, Buddhism and what the people think of the government. One of our guides was also trying to learn German so we helped him out with that.
The next day we took a share-taxi to Hsipaw a small hill station a couple of hundred miles northeast of Mandalay. The first day there we set out to look for a hot spring, which according to our map was pretty easy to find, however after having to carry Ulrike on my back through a paddy field, up to my ankles in thick mud I was of a differing opinion. I think we must have found a short cut through as we found it a small time later. Although at the time we didn't believe it was the hot spring and spend another 2 hours walking in the hills looking for it. Needless to stay when we good back to it we appreciated the water even more. During our rambling we passed through some rural farming villages still using water mills and animals for power and while very picturesque I wouldn't have wanted to live there. Saying that, we'd already signed up for an overnight guided hike to another rural village further away. Our guide was again really interesting and had some great stories to tell. One of which was that he had a degree in history, however after the recent government came in power they denied everything that had happened in Burmese history as propaganda and set about rewriting the books, he was therefore left with a worthless degree and so to support his family he got a job as a guide. On the way through one of the smaller villages we passed through a wedding ceremony, not thinking of us as gatecrashers we were welcomed in, sat down, fed and had our pictures taken with the bride and groom before we could politely say no. We continued on to an isolated village further up in the hills with very full bellies. We thought the local there would be used to seeing tourists, but the children of the village were chasing us round wanting to have their pictures taken. When we showed them the pictures they would hysterically laugh or hide in embarrassment, but never asked for money, school pens, or bonbons. We then slept the night in the village chief's house where we spend most of the time playing with three baby kittens before turning into our nice comfortable bamboo mats. We slept pretty well considering the hard floor, however we were woken up before the crack of dawn by the family roaster who seemed to be living underneath the room where we were sleeping. This was the signal for everybody else to get up and start working but after some effort we managed to get back to sleep for a couple more hours. We (or at least I) managed to get our own back though, as after we hiked back to Hsipaw the next day, our new American friend and I tucked into a dinner of barbecued chickens feet and chicken intestine kebabs, which tasted surprisingly better than they sound. Ulrike also found a cat to feed the bones to, so she was happy.
After Hsipaw we headed down to Inle Lake, a large lake in the east of Mynamar surrounded by floating villages and markets. One the first day we took a boat tour of the lake including the aforementioned floating villages and markets, but also some floating allotments. However the highlight was a monastery (not floating), where the monks had taught the cats to jump through hoops, true enlightenment??? We spent that night in a traditional Myanmar restaurants with a couple of travelers pals we'd picked up along the way where we enjoyed a few of glasses of fine Myanmar ale. After a while we got talking to some of the locals who we watching,and betting, on the Premiership football. As well as football, they also told us plenty of dirty Myanmar jokes and some rather interesting theories about the government. One such theory was that people would not accept CB dollars, not because they were superstitious, as we'd heard, but because to North Koreans don't like them. Them reason being that the government is buying nuclear technology from the North Koreans, you heard it here first. After that bombshell we spend the next day relaxing at one of two Burmese vineyards after a short bike ride. It was surprisingly good, although I'm not sure we'll see it on the shelves in Europe in the near future.
After Inle Lake we flew back to Yangon and then took a bus a couple of hours north up to Bago. Bago has a couple more nice pagodas and some of the biggest Buddha statues in the country but they were all starting starting to look the same by this point. Our guide also helped save us a bit of money and keep it away from the government by showing us the entrance gates where the tourist police didn't check for tickets. We also found probably the most interesting menu heading in the country. The restaurant opposite our hotel had a wide selection of dished based on "fighting goat balls", I wasn't quite sure what they were and why they'd been fighting but needless to say, I didn't have the balls to try them. By this time we were also getting used to the constant power cuts in the country. Our hotel had it's (very loud) generators on for pretty much the whole time we were there. These power cuts were also explained to us by our drinking buddies in Inle Lake as some do do with the Chinese stealthily trying to take over the country. On the next day's bus ride the child sitting next to me on the back seat kept offering me sweets, however when I reached over to take them she pulled it away giggling as if it was the funniest thing in the world. I think I could have taken her but it didn't want to get arrested in a strange country and so had to leave her in peace with here candy.
Next stop was the "Golden Rock" the closest things we found to a Burmese theme park. This came complete with rollercoaster, the ride from base camp up the hill. We were sat on the back of a big truck which had had wooden beams slung over the space at the back to make simple bench seats. After we were full to bursting the driver put the pedal to the metal , with ever turn and hill (for which the driver seemed to speed up) the locals screamed to go faster. I was just trying to stop myself bouncing off. The golden rock was very impressive (see pics), a seemingly gravity defying boulder perched on a cliff side, apparently held in place by a hair from Budha. Still it only warranted a half hour looking before we headed back down for another ride on the rollorcoaster.
The next day we set off again, this time for good, to Yangon where we splashed the cash a little, treating ourselves to a fancy hotel (35 USD) an afternoon tea (15 USD) and a two hour massage (10 USD), much deserved after all that traveling. It summary Myanmar was a great place, mostly due to the people which were always so happy and chatty despite the circumstances some of them live in, the scenery was very impressive (especially if you like Buddhist stuff), the food was interesting and the climate nice a warm. We're already thinking of going back some time, but it'll have to wait for a while.
Sorry for the essay, next time I'll just put some pictures up.

Hallo zusammen, da sind wir wieder und unsere drei Wochen in Myanmar sind auch fast rum. Ausserhalb der groessten Stadt Yangon war es mehr oder weniger unmoeglich eine Internetverbindung zu finden, was aber auch sehr entspannend sein kann, so drei Wochen ohne jegliche Neuigkeiten vom Rest der Welt. Nun sind wir wieder in Yangon und nutzen die Zeit bis zu unserem Rueckflug nach Bangkok den Blog auf den neusten Stand zu bringen. Auch wenn wir alles erst in Bangkok hochladen koennen, da unsere Blog-Seite hier gesperrt ist. Wir muessen wirklich politisch hochbrisante Dinge geschrieben haben :-) Hier also ein langer Bericht ueber unsere letzten drei Wochen:
Myanmar ist ein absolut unglaubliches Land, irgendwo zwischen dem 19. und 20. Jahrhundert steckengeblieben. Insbesondere auf dem Land fuehlt man sich wie in eine andere Zeit versetzt. Ochsen- und Pferdekarren transportieren Waren und Menschen und auf den Feldern wird noch immer alle Arbeit per Hand erledigt. Die Haeuser auf dem Land sind einfachste Bambussuetten auf Pfaehlen und das taegliche Essen besteht aus Reis und Curry, morgens, mittags und abends. In den Staedten sieht es etwas morderner aus, aber stundenlange Stromausfaelle sind voellig normal (normalerweise mehrfach am Tag). Es lohnt sich also nicht in ein Zimmer mit Klimaanlage zu investieren :-). Vom Militaerregim sieht man auf den Strassen relativ wenig, wahrscheinlich haben die sich alle in ihrer neuen Hauptstadt verbarikadiert, aber man merkt, dass die Leute Angst haben. Es haben einige Burmesen mit uns ueber ihre Ansicht zur Regirung gesprochen, aber immer hinter vorgehaltener Hand und mit einem Auge auf moegliche Spione. Und trotz der Unterdrueckung habe ich noch nie nettere Menschen getroffen. Egal wo man hinkommt, auf dem Land noch mehr als in der Stadt, gruessen ein die Leute und laecheln und die die Englisch koennen versuchen eine Unterhaltung. Am Anfang waren wir immer sehr reserviert. Unsere Erfahrungen aus Indien haben uns gelehrt, dass die meisten Hoefflichkeiten mit der Frage nach Geld enden. Aber wir haben schnell gemerkt, dass Myanmar ganz anders ist. Auch wenn der Grossteil der Bevoelkerung weit aermer ist als in Indien, haben wir kaum betteln erlebt. Und die bekannten drei Worte von jedem indischen Schulkind gegenueber Touristen "Rupee, Chocolate, School-pen" nie gehoert. Im Gegenteil, z.B. an unserem ersten Tag hier in Yangon, haben wir uns in in einen der Tee-Shops gesetzt, die es ueberall auf dem Buergersteig gibt. Ein Haufen Plastiktische und Stuehle, die bei uns fuer Kleinkinder verkauft werden (ein herrlicher Anblick Robert auf einem Stuhl fuer 5-jaehrige zu sehen :-)) Wir setzen uns also an einen dieser Tische und bekommen sofort eine Kanne mit gruenem Tee hingestellt. Genau was wir wollten. wir trinken also diesen Tee und nach einer Weile kommt die Bediening mit zwei Tassen Kaffee, wir erklaren ihr, dass wir keinen Kaffee moechten und der Tee voellig ausreichend ist und sie geht wieder. Zwei Stunden und zwei Kanne Tee spaeter stehen wir auf und wollen bezahlen, da stellt sich raus, das der gruene Tee immer umsonst ist und man normalerweise etwas zu essen dazu bestellt. Oops. Wir versuchen nun der Bedienung trotzdem Geld anzubieten aber sie lacht uns nur an und geht. Das waere in Indien nie passiert. Am naechsten Tag sind wir also wieder hin und haben diesmal etwas gegessen und ein ordentliches Trinkgeld dagelassen, mit dem die Bedienung auch nichts so recht anzufangen wusste. Sie versuchte uns zu erklaeren, dass wir zu viel bezahlt haben und wir versuchten ihr klarzumachen, dass das Geld fuer sie ist. Und so war es fast ueberall in Myanmar. Kein endloses Handeln mit allem und jedem. Einfach nur freundliche Menschen, die ihre Englischkenntnisse an einem ausprobieren moechten. In einem Bergdorf rannte uns eine Horde Kinder staendig hinterher und Robert fing an sie zu fotografieren. Ich dachte nur, jetzt kommt die Frage nach Geld, aber nichts da, sie wollten nur das Foto sehen um sich dann sofort wieder vor die Kamera zu stellen. Super suess. Und Robert hat wegen seiner Groesse natuerlich ueberall etwas aufsehen und viele burmesische Kommentare erregt die alle im lachen der Burmesen endete. Wir haben bis heute nicht rausbekommen, was sie immer gesagt haben. Besonder Kinder konnten nicht aufhoeren Robert anzustarren. Dafuer hat Robert dann aber in den Bussen gelitten, die wirklich nicht fuer seine Beinlaenge gemacht sind :-)
Hier aber nun ein paar Details ueber unsere Tour: Wir sind von Bangkok nach Yangon geflogen und haben dort ein paar Tage verbracht. Keine wirklich schoene Stadt aber ein guter Ausgangspunkt um sich langsam an Myanmar zu gewoehnen und auf dem Schwarzmarkt Geld zu tauschen. In Bangkok sind wir von Bank zu Bank gelaufen um saubere, neue 100 Dollar Scheine zu bekommen ohne Serialnummer CB, da es sonst unmoeglich ist diese in Myanmar zu tauschen. Robert hat sich schon lustig ueber mich gemacht und wollte mir nicht glauben, aber als wir dann das erste mal Geld tauschen wollten, haben sie unsere Dollar Scheine ganz genau betrachtet und jeder kleine Schatten wurde beanstandet. Schluss edlich haben wir dann aber doch einen guten Umtauschkurs bekommen. Und all diese Aufregung, weil es in Myanmar keine Geldautomaten gibt. Wahrscheinlich auch besser. Der Umtauschkurs auf der Strasse ist etwa 1000 Khat zu 1 Dollar, waehren die Regierung den offiziellen Umtauschkurs bei 7 Khat pro Dollar festgesetzt hat. Das waere ein teurer Urlaub geworden :-). Von Yangon sind wir dann nach Bagan geflogen, eine Stunde Flug gegenueber 14 Stunden im Bus haben Robert ueberzeugt. Bagan ist wahrscheinlich der Hoehepunkt in Myanmar. Auf einem Gebiet von etwa 9 Quadratkilometern befinden sich mehr als 4000 Tempel, Pagoden und Stuppas, die alle zwichen dem 11. und 13. Jahrhundert gebaut wurden. Ein unglaublicher Anblick, insbesondere von einem der Tempel, auf die man klettern darf. Dann siehr Bagan aus wie eine verlohrene Stadt die zwische den Baeumen hervorlugt. Wir haben uns fuer zwei Tage Fahrraeder gemietet und sind einfach nur durch die Gegend geradelt und haben dort angehalten wo es uns gefallen hat. Teilweise waren wir auf einem Tempeloder eine ganze Strasse komplett fuer uns allein. Am ersten Tag haben wir in einem kleinen Dorf angehalten, das bekannt fuer seine Lacquerware ist und haben uns auch prompt in eine Schale und eine Vase verliebt, die werden dann wohl von Bangkok nach Hause geschickt :-). Am zweiten Tag sind wir auf einer kleinen Farm gelandet, weil wir dachten, dass es ein Restaurant ist. Na ja, sie haben es nicht bestritten und uns ein traditionelles burmesisches Mahl gekocht, waehrend wir beobachtet haben, wir ein Ochse einen Muehlstein antrieb um Erdnussoel zu pressen. Wir kamen uns wirklich wie in einem Museumsdorf vor. Das Essen war etwas ganz anderes als was wir bis dahin im Restaurant gegessen hatten. Getrocknete Blueten mit Erdnuessen z.B. oder einen Zitronen-Zwiebel Salat, wobei die Zitronen in Vierteln mit Schale im Salat waren. Und wie immer gruener Tee bis zum abwinken.
Da wir so ein nettes kleines Hotel in Bagan hatten, mit eigener Terrasse haben wir uns dort noch einen Tag laenger aufgehalten und einfach nur entspannt. Von Bagang ging es dann weiter nach Mandalay, wieder mit dem Flugzeug, da das Boot, das wir nehmen wollten fuer zwei Wochen Pause gemacht hat. Eigentlich hatten wir gar keine Fluege innerhalb Myanmars geplant, aber die Fluege waren einfach zu verlockend kurz verglichen mit 12 bis 16 Stunden Busfahrt. Und super leicht zu organisieren. Wir haben die Fluege einen Tag im Voraus bei einem Reisebuero vor Ort gebucht und pro Flug zwischen 25 und 50 Euro bezahlt. Da konnten wir einfach nicht wiederstehen. Also ging es per Flug nach Mandalay. Ich fand den Namen Mandalay schon immer schoen und habe daher eine wunderschoene Stadt erwartet, aber nichts da, nicht viel anders als Yangon. Dafier gab es aber eine Sonnenfinsternis, als wir in Mandalay ankamen und dafuer sind wir dann auf die hoechste Erhebung in Mandalay gestiegen, dem Mandalay Hill und haben uns das Spektakel angeschaut. Wir waren natuerlich ueberhaupt nicht richtig vorbereitet, aber die Burmesen haben uns immer wieder ihre geschwaersten Glaesser angeboten, so das wir die Sonnenfindernis beobachten konnten. Auf dem Rueckweg zum Hotel haben wir eine Fahrradrickshaw genommen. Ich glaube wir haetten es nie gewagt zu zwei in eine einzusteigen, weil wir dachten, das schafft der Fahrer nie, aber nachdem uns ein Rickshaw Fahrer von sich aus angesprochen hat, haben wir eingewillgt. Zuerst hat er uns noch ein wundrschoenes Kloster gezeigt, das komplett aus Teak war und komplett aus Schnitzerein bestand um uns dann hat aechtzent zu unserem Hotel zurueckzubringen. Er hat uns angeboten uns am naechste Tag mit einem Freund uns zwei Motorraedern abzuholen und uns die Umgebung von Mandalay zu zeigen. Also ging es am naechsten Tag um acht Uhr auf dem Ruecksitzt eines Motrrads fuer uns beide los. Die umliegenden Staedte werden von Reisefuehrern gepriesen, aber wahrscheinlich haben wir uns alle Sehenswuerdigkeiten verdorben, da wir in Bagan angefangen haben. Viel interessanter waren die Unterhaltungen mit unserem Motorradfahrer und die Dinge die er uns ueber Buddismus und sein Leben erzaehlt hat (er hat z.B. Geschichte studiert, was jetzt voellig unnuetz ist, da die Regierung einfach eine neue Gechichte fuer Myanmar geschrieben hat und die eigentlichen Geschehnisse nicht mehr existieren). Zum Sonnenuntergang ging es dann zu der laengsten Teak-Bruecke der Welt, die mehr wie ein 1,2 km lange Steg aussieht, aber eine unglaubliche Atmosphaere ausstrahlt.
Von Mandalay ging es dann im Taxi (mit drei anderen Pssagieren) in die Berge nach Hsipaw. Ein kleiner, wunderbar entspannter Ort mit einem super leckeren BBQ-Restaurant. Es gibt eine Auswahl von mindesten 20 verschiedenen Spiessen (von Tofu bis hin zu Huehnerkopf mit Hals, Darm, Eingeweiden und Hoden (wir konnten aber nicht wirklich rausbekommen von welchem Tier, es war schon lustig genug den Kellener zu beobachten, wie er versucht hat zu erklaren, was dieses Fleisch ist was wir da liegen sahen), die dann gegrillt und serviert werden. Wir sind jeden Abend dort Essen gewesen, aber bis zum Huehnerkopf und den Hoden hat sich Robert nicht vorgewagt. Und jeden Abend kam eine alte komplett vernabte und zerzauste Katze an unseren Tisch, sprang auf einen leeren Hocker und wartete auf seinen Anteil. Wir haben ihn Rocky VI getauft, da er wie ein alter Boxer aussah.
Von Hsipaw ging es fuer zwei Tage zu Fuss in die Berge, mit Uebernachtung in einem Bergdorf. Auf dem Hinweg sind wir zufaellig in eine Hochzeit gestolpert und wurden sofort zu Reis, Curry und Orangenlimonade eingeladen und im Hintergrund lief die ganze Zeit der Fernseher mit thailaendischem MTV. Mal eine etwas andere Hochzeit. Leider konnten wir nicht bleiben, bis der Schnapps rausgeholt wurde :-) Nach vier Stunden durch wuderschoene Landschaft und Teeplantagen kamen wir dann in einem kleinen Dorf des Palank-Stammes an. Ueberall die typischen Bambooshuetten auf Pfaehlen. Wir haben im Haus des Chiefs geschlafen und unser Guide hat uns erzaehlt, das alle zwei Jahre das Dorf demokratisch einen Chief waehlt, der zusammen mit dem Obersten Moench des lokalen Klosters ueber das Dorf wacht. Jede Familie zahlt 10 Prozent ihres Gewinns jedes Jahr an den Chief und er entscheidet, was mit dem Geld gemacht wird. So werden z.B. arme Familien im Dorf unterstuetzt, ein Brunnen gebaut, oder ein Haus in der naechst groesseren Stadt gekauft plus zwei Frauen angestellt, so dass Kinder auf weiterfuehrende Schulen gehen und in dem Haus die Woche ueber leben koennen. Und die Chiefs der umliegenden Doerfer treffen sich regelmaessig um sich zu besprechen und abzustimmen. Auch wenn Myanmar ein Militaerdiktatur ist, in den kleinen Gemeinden scheint die Demokratier sehr gut zu fuktionieren. Wahrcheinlich haben diese Bergdoerfer auch das Glueck, dass die Regierung absolut kein Interesse an ihnen hat. Sie sind arm und haben keinerlei Bodenschaetze. Das ist wahrscheinlich ihr Glueck. Die Nacht haben wir auf ein paar Decken auf dem nackten Boden verbracht und der Katze zugehoert wie sie Maeuse gefangen hat und um drei Uhr morgens fing der Hahn an zu kraehen und hoerte nicht mehr auf. Genau so wie man sich das Landleben vorstellt.
Von Hsipaw ging es dann mit Taxi und Bus ueber Mandalay nach Inle Lake, dem groessten See in Myanmar. Die obligatorische Bootstour ging dann auch vorbei an Doerfern und Gaerten (mit viel Tomatenanbau) die direkt in den See gebaut wurden. Alles sah ein bissche so aus, wir man sich das Leben vorstellt, wenn die Erde mit einem Mal unter Wasser steht. Es gab keinerlei Strassen, nur Kanaele und vor jedem Haus parkte ein Kanu. In der Umgebung von Inle Lake wird Wein angebaut, also haben wir uns am naechsten Tag mit Fahrraedern aufgemacht eine Weinkellerei zu besuchen. Die uns mit super moderner Technologie ueberrascht und der Moeglichkeit sich heillos an dem oertlichen Wein fuer 1,50 Euro zu betrinken. Der Wein wird richtig professionell hergestellt und ein Franzose lebt auf dem Weingut und kuemmert sich um alles. Wir haben dann von dem voelligen betrinken abstandgenommen aber trotzdem vier ihrer Weine gekostet. Wirklich lecker, aber so eine Flasche Wein schleppt man dann doch nicht mit sich um die Welt. Von Inle Lake ging es dann per Flugzeug zuruck nach Yangon, eigentlich nur zum Busbahnhof in Yangon und dann weiter nach Bago fuer zwei Naechte. Bago ist voll mit Buddah-Statuen, eine groesser als die andere und die meisten nicht wirklich alt. die groesste Statue ist 55m lang. Schon ganz nett, aber hat etwas von Buddah-Disneyworld. Von Bago ging es dann weiter zum Golden Rock. Einem riesen Felsen, komplett mit Gold ueberzogen, der sehr prekaer auf einem Ueberhang balanciert. Sieht schon beeindruckend aus und ist eines der Haupt Pilgerziele von Burmesen. Hier konnten wir also Hautnah den burmesischen Tourismus betrachten und waren erleichtert zu sehen, das ihnen genau der gleiche Souvenir-Tineff angeboten wird wie uns plus alles von der Pistole uebers Maschinengewehr zum Panzer und FLAG aus Bambus. Keine Ahnung was Buddah dazu sagen wuerde :-). Vom Golden Rock ging es dann zurueck nach Yangon (4,5 Stunden Bus). Hier haben wir uns ein etwas teureres Hotel gegoennt und waren gestern auch zum englischen High Tea im ersten Hotel am Platze. Aber ich glaube, das haben wir uns nach drei Wochen Reis und Curry verdient. Heute werden wir, so das Internet und die Stromversorgung will, im Internetcafe verbringen und morgen frueh geht es zurueck nach Bangkok fuer ein paar Tage und dann hoffentlich weiter nach Kambodscha.

1 comment:

  1. True Enlightenment - I love it. I've since tried to teach Daisy to jump through hoops however she just wandered off and found somewhere cosy to curl up and stared at me like I was some kind of tool. These Western cats - smarter than the average...